Saturday, February 21, 2015

Slow Cooker Bavarian Meatball Sandwiches ***

I had forgotten about this one for a while, until someone reviewed it last week.  Then I knew I had to stick it up on my menu immediately.  We love this.  I had a note in my review last time that I wanted to try it with fresh mushrooms, and oh mama, am I glad I did.  I just threw them in at the beginning and let them cook along with everything else.  I also used the onion-mushroom soup mix, but I always do that.  I also always use homestyle meatballs, because I don't like the flavor of the Italian. Definitely hit the spot for an easy meal on a cold weekend!



SLOW COOKER BAVARIAN MEATBALL SANDWICHES
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ Six Sisters' Stuff)

32 oz. Frozen Italian meatballs
1/2 C Chopped onion
1/4 C Brown sugar
1 envelope Onion soup mix
12 oz Coca Cola
12 Buns - split
12 oz. (3 cups) shredded swiss cheese

In a crockpot combine meatballs, onion, brown sugar, soup mix and Coke. Cover and cook on low for 3.5 to 4.5 hours or until heated through.
Place meatballs on each bun bottom and sprinkle with 1/4 C shredded cheese. Place on baking sheets and broil for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Replace bun tops and serve!
*luckymommy/Amy's notes: I add a carton of fresh mushrooms, use onion-mushroom soup mix, and stick with homestyle meatballs.

Previous reviews:
7/1/12 ~ We all really enjoyed this one.  I just used regular homestyle meatballs, but the sandwiches were really yummy.  We put a little of the "gravy" over the meatballs and cheese after broiling them, and it really brought it all together, in my opinion.  I used the onion-mushroom soup mix, because that's my favorite.  I think that next time, I'm going to throw a handful or so of fresh mushrooms in the crockpot too.  That would be even better, but it really is pretty perfect just as it is.

No comments: