Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Blasphemous Pork Chops and Noodles (Crockpot) ***

This was amazing.  I'm not normally all that fond of pork chops (they're too dry for me), but they are fabulous cooked like this in the crockpot.  They're so tender and flavorful.  I think I may cut down a bit on the egg noodles next time, but that's the only thing I'll change.  I did have a bunch of fresh mushrooms to use up, so I threw them in there as well.  I'll definitely keep doing that.  I just love pork and mushrooms together.  Seriously, though, I will be making this again.  Two thumbs up all around!


BLASPHEMOUS PORK CHOPS AND NOODLES (CROCKPOT)
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ GoingReno)

6 pork chops or 1-1/2 pounds pork roast
1-1/2 cups liquid (I used chicken broth)
1/4 cup butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
Salt, pepper to taste
1 T Italian seasoning
1 T dry mustard
1/2 cup apricot preserves
Italian bread crumbs

Put the broth, butter, onion, garlic, apricot preserves, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and dry mustard into the crock of your slow cooker. Whisk to combine, then add the pork. Cook on high for four to five hours or low for eight to ten hours. About half way through the cooking time, turn the pork chops so that any part that wasn't already submerged is.
When the pork chops are done, start cooking the egg noodles. Take the meat out of the slow cooker. Remove any fat and use two forks to shred. Put the meat back into the crock.
When the noodles are cooked, drain them, then dump them into the slow cooker with the meat and broth. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top and mix everything together. The bread crumbs make a kind of dressing when they’re mixed with the liquid. That’s the consistency you’re going for. I used about a cup of bread crumbs, and it turned out perfect. You might like more or less, so just use your judgement. Taste for seasoning.
Tradition calls for serving pork chops and noodles with applesauce. My kids actually stir it into their noodles. Leaving it off might have caused flat-out mutiny in my house. I like to serve this with green beans or a salad.
*Amy's notes: I added a bunch of sliced fresh mushrooms at the beginning.  SO good!

No comments: