Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Mexican Green Beans **

The flavors in this were okay.  I used fresh green beans, and I actually simmered for quite a while longer than the 10 minutes.  I just ended up with some beans that were super hard and some that were super soft.  It didn't really blend well at all.  I think that next time, I would either use canned green beans or stick with the fresh and put a cover over it while it simmers, to allow for a little steaming to soften them up.  I'd be willing to try it again, though, just to see how it goes.  Tonight, I served it with one of our all-time favorites, Beefy Bean Burrito Casserole.


MEXICAN GREEN BEANS
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ Food.com)

1  tablespoon vegetable oil
1  lb green beans (fresh or frozen)
1  large onion, peeled and chopped
2  garlic cloves, minced
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel)
2  teaspoons basil
1/2 lemon, juice of, fresh

Trim green beans if using fresh.
In a large skillet, saute beans, onion and garlic in hot oil until beans are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.
Stir in Rotel and basil.
Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Sprinkle with lemon juice and serve.
Serves 6

No comments: