Monday, September 21, 2015

One Pan Philly Cheesesteak Pasta **

I was really excited to make this, but it just really seemed like something was missing in it.  Once the peppers cook in the liquid with the noodles, they lose their bite completely.  The roast beef's flavor is sucked out by the liquid too.  It just didn't have enough flavor, in my opinion.  Even a little bit of salt would have helped out some.  I don't know.  Maybe I shouldn't have used such lean meat.  I love the idea of it, so I definitely want to give it another shot.  I just need to figure out how to improve on it without changing the "cheesesteak" theme.  I need to look for some other similar meals and get some ideas, I guess.  Anyway, it was decent, but it wasn't what I had hoped it would be.


ONE PAN PHILLY CHEESESTEAK PASTA
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ YellowBlissRoad)

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup thinly sliced onion (about 1 small onion
2 cups thinly sliced bell peppers (about 3 - red, and/or green)
1 pound thinly sliced, rare deli roast beef
2 cups beef broth
1 cup water
1/2 pound of small dry pasta, like Rotini (about 2 1/2 cups)
6-10 thin slices of deli Provolone Cheese

Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a 12" skillet.
Add onions and bell peppers and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are soft and onions are clear.
Cut roast beef into one inch thick slices. Add to the veggies in the pan.
Add pasta, broth and water, stir, and bring mixture to a boil.
Cover pan and reduce heat to low.
Cook for 18-20 minutes. Uncover and if there is still a lot of liquid in the pan, turn heat back up to medium-high and cook, stirring often for a few minutes until liquid is mostly absorbed.
Turn off heat and top pasta with cheese slices. Replace cover for about five minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Divide into bowls and serve.

No comments: