Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Slow Cooker Enchilada Quinoa ****

We've never had quinoa.  Well, I've had it in salads and such, but I've never really tried it.  Hubby is on a diet and watching his calories and all, so I figured it was a good time to give quinoa a shot.  I knew it had a sort of "different" flavor when by itself, so for the first time we had it, I knew I wanted it in something with a long cook-time and enough levels of flavor that we wouldn't be able to judge the quinoa unfairly.  I also knew it needed to be a type of recipe that was familiar to us.  We love Mexican-type recipes, so this was my choice.  It has a long cook-time, so I knew it would kind of soften the flavor as well as the texture.

Long story short, we absolutely adored it.  I kid you not, my oldest (12) had seconds and is taking leftovers to school tomorrow.  That has never happened.  Literally.  In his entire school career, he has never asked to take leftovers.  So that tells you how much we loved this thing.  Since we were already going out on a limb with a new ingredient, I knew I couldn't get away with a meatless meal as well.  I bought a rotisserie chicken and shredded it to add to the beginning with the beans.  Honestly, you couldn't even tell it was in there, but Hubby would know.  He's definitely not a fan of meatless meals, lol.  I let it cook for right at 7 hours on low.  I will be making this one a lot, though.  I served it with Roasted Asparagus.  Yum!


SLOW COOKER ENCHILADA QUINOA
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ LeCremeDeLaCrumb)

1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-ounce) can yellow corn, drained and rinsed
2 (15-ounce) cans of mild or medium red enchilada sauce, divided
1 (15-ounce) can of diced fire roasted tomatoes and green chilies
1 cup un-cooked quinoa + 1/2 cup water
4 ounces cream cheese (light or fat free is okay)
salt and pepper to taste (I used about 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper)
1 cup shredded Mexican style cheese
optional: chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, diced avocado, sour cream

Add beans, corn, 1 can of enchilada sauce, diced tomatoes and chilies, quinoa, water, cream cheese, and salt and pepper to the slow cooker. Stir everything together.
Pour remaining can of enchilada sauce on top, then sprinkle with shredded cheese. Cover and cook 4-5 hours on high or 5-7 hours on low.
Uncover, top with tomatoes, avocados, sour cream, and chopped cilantro and serve.
OP'S NOTES: For added flavor, I like to add 1 teaspoon each cumin and garlic powder.
*luckymommy/Amy's notes: I shredded a rotisserie chicken and added to crockpot with the beans.

No comments: